Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bicycle Love

Hello, readers! November has been a rather uneventful month. You have probably observed that I have been posting less frequently than in the summer, which is mostly due to the lack of activities and travel in the fall months and longer days in the office.

However, I would be remiss if I didn't write a post dedicated to my vintage Peugeot bicycle which I brought back from Germany and recently reassembled. For those of you who know me well, you are aware that I lived in Germany three different times: August 2004 - July 2005, May 2006 - August 2008, and January 2010 - August 2011. During each of these stays, I had a different rickety vintage bicycle. I fell in love with each of these bicycles and wanted to bring them back to the U.S. I never had the money to ship my bicycle back until last summer, when I was leaving Munich. My generous coworkers at Gruenecker Law Firm took up a collection as a farewell present, and I used this monetary gift to pack and ship my beloved white Peugeot bicycle back home. Two of my coworkers even helped me disassemble the bike, which was quite a messy and difficult task, to say the least.


 Lounging in the English Garden with some coworkers and my bike in the background.


Upon arrival in Pennsylvania, the bike was stored in my parents' garage until I brought it out to Minneapolis in late April. At the time, I did not have the finances to buy new parts for the bike and have it reassembled. I forgot to mention that in my great haste to get the bike taken apart and cram it into a box approved by the German Post, I left both bike wheels by the dumpsters in front of the Art Academy (Akademie der Kuenste) near the Siegestor! So I knew that rebuilding this bike would be a costly endeavor.

After working a few months at my new job, I decided I was ready to invest in my white Peugeot. I took the frame, with rusty and greasy pieces hanging off of it, to my local bike shop. Not only did they order the new bike parts, but they showed me how to completely build bike wheels, reassemble the brakes and gears, and get it ready to ride.

I was so proud that I rebuilt my bicycle myself. Thanks to everyone who helped me bring this treasure from Munich back to Minneapolis! So now, instead of long rides along the Isar River in Munich, I can ride around Minneapolis' lovely lakes.


                                                             So proud


                                                I missed you, my friend!


                                        Big blue racer and the little white Peugeot


                 Vintage bike poster from Massachusetts, hanging in my living room.


                    Vintage bike poster from Paris, also hanging in my living room.

No comments:

Post a Comment