Saturday, August 4, 2012

One Week in Pennsylvania

Hello, dear readers! I have been traveling for the past few weeks, but I have returned with colorful photos and exciting stories. I spent last week in rural northwestern Pennsylvania, where I grew up and where my family still resides. I resigned from my previous job about two weeks ago and spontaneously booked a trip home to visit my family before my new job started.

 When in rural northwestern Pennsylvania, you don't need to travel far before spotting members of the local Amish communities. We encountered this group leaving their Sunday church service on our drive home from the airport. It is against the rules of the Amish community to let themselves be photographed, but I don't think they realized that I was taking photos of them because my Samsung smartphone is so stealthy.

 



Dressed in their Sunday best: beards on Amishmen are a sign of marriage.


My trip home coincided with an estate sale at my grandfather's home, which my mother had been planning for several months. My grandfather's home was a farmhouse located on a large piece of property which was originally purchased by his Swedish immigrant grandfather in the 1870s. The land was rich in petroleum, and my ancestors drilled oil for commercial purposes up until the 1950s. The land stayed in the family, and my grandfather and grandmother built a house there in the early 1950s, where my mother grew up. Fortunately, the property will continue to stay in our family, and my uncle is currently renovating the house. My grandfather's illness last summer and passing in the winter turned my family's world upside down, but I hope that with the estate sale and renovation of his home, we can bring closure to this sad chapter in our lives. I am confident that having a new job and focusing on developing my career will certainly help me in moving forward.

 
                            My grandfather's house: now in Swedish red

                                         
                                                 The corn crib and barn
                                          
 

                                                           Red gladiolas


                                             Lovely sunshine and blue sky


                                                        Storm brewing


Road past the corn crib and barn which leads to the Dunlap house and upper barn


Dunlap house - inhabited by the Dunlap family  when the property was purchased by my great-great grandfather


                                                  Upper barn, still in use


                                Equipment left from the oil-drilling days


One-room schoolhouse which my mother attended, and pond built by my grandfather


                          Personal gas pump; corn fields rented out to
                                                  neighboring farmers



                                        Just another satisfied customer!


                Fresh glazed doughnuts from our kind Amish neighbors


My grandparents' former home in the countryside is not the only place undergoing renovations. My parents have been working since last summer to turn our family's home (where I spent my entire youth) into their retirement palace. The new additions have proven to be well worth the arduous task of renovating:



                                     New wing on the left: dad's library


      New wing on the right: mom's enlarged kitchen and conservatory 


                                     Conservatory: my new breakfast spot


It wouldn't be summertime without homemade fruit pies: enjoying some 
strawberry rhubarb and raspberry cream in the new kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment