Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wonderful Wedding Weekend in Massachusetts

Hello, dear readers! I am back from my brief hiatus from the blogging world. I have fallen behind on my usual weekend tasks because of my trip to Northampton, Massachusetts, two weeks ago, thus the delay in posting about my incredible trip.

Two of my very close friends from Smith College got married on the college campus two weekends ago, and David and I were lucky enough to be present at the ceremony and reception. Smith has an absolutely beautiful campus, and the weather was sunny the entire weekend and perfect for an outdoor wedding. Although I had been back to Smith campus a number of times since graduating, this was David's first trip back since he visited me there in 2006.

Northampton is a lovely town located in the western part of the state, with a population of just under 30,000 people. The town is an artistic and musical center, surrounded by the rivers, forests, and hills of the Pioneer Valley.


                                              The historic Hotel Northampton


                                             Solarium of Hotel Northampton


                                  Hanging flower baskets of Hotel Northampton


                            Downtown Northampton with historic brick buildings


                        The main street leading from town through Smith campus


                                               Historic Academy of Music


                                              Bustling downtown Northampton


                                             Entrance to Hotel Northampton


We arrived very late on a Friday night at the airport in Hartford, Connecticut, picked up a rental car, and took the Massachusetts Turnpike with the wonderful Masshole drivers to Northampton. On Saturday, we were lucky enough to have some time to recover before heading to campus for the ceremony. The wedding took place in Smith's Capen Gardens, which I had never seen prior to the ceremony. This was my first outdoor wedding, and it was, by far, the most amazing wedding I had ever attended.


                               David and I in Capen Gardens before the ceremony


                                               
                                                     More Capen Gardens


                                                          The ceremony


                   Steeple of downtown Northampton church with hills in background


                                                     Site of the ceremony


                       Wandering through the botanical garden before the reception


                                      Friends since my first week of college


                               View of Paradise Pond from the botanical gardens


                    Smith College arboretum with student housing in the background


                                             Paradise Pond and boathouses


                       Arboretum with steeple of campus chapel in the background


                        The members of the other wedding party bombing our photo!


The reception following the ceremony was a perfect end to the day's festivities. The parents of one of my friends who was getting married are Portuguese, and they provided accordion music with castanets as well as traditional dancing. This was the first wedding I had ever been to that included any kind of non-Anglo-Saxon traditions, and the music and dancing made the reception so much more special.

                                         
                                                   My handsome escort


                                                     The bride's bouquet


                                      The beginning of the Portuguese dancing


                                                  Portuguese accordions


                                                    More group dancing


Before flying back to Minneapolis, we had a few hours to walk around Northampton and the Smith campus. There we fondly recollected the time that David had spent in Northampton more than six years ago.



                                                  Smith Campus Center



                                           Boat house on Paradise Pond



                                              My favorite fountain on campus


                                            Tyler House: my residence hall


                                     The Japanese bridge below Paradise Pond


                                                 Spectacular backdrop


                                                          Tyler House


New engineering building: home of the first all-women's engineering program in the U.S.!


                          College Hall: houses the office of the college president


                                                       I love my school!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment