After a week with temperatures in the 90s (and even as high as 100-105), we finally had a rainstorm Friday evening which cooled everything down. I awoke to a lovely and cool 70 degrees on Saturday morning, which felt glorious compared to the temperatures of the past week which were closer to the climate of Hades - or Arizona.
We were unable to grill on July 4 due to excessive heat, so we decided to grill on Saturday evening instead. Because I needed something to accompany the steaks which we were planning to grill, I decided to head to the Mill City Farmer's Market. There are many farmer's markets in Minneapolis, but this one is unique in that it is located in the old Gold Medal Flour factory. The former industrial setting creates a great atmosphere and very interesting market experience.
In order to get to the market without having to deal with negligent motorists, I took a bike trail near Cedar Lake, along the railroad tracks which lead into the Minneapolis downtown. As photographing trains is a hobby of mine, I was very pleased to encounter this cargo train on my way into the city.
Cedar Lake Trail
Just before downtown Minneapolis - with Target Field
in the background
Mill City Market is located in downtown Minneapolis along the Mississippi River, close to St. Anthony's Falls and the Stone Arch Bridge. One of my blog posts from the fall series discusses this area. The market sells anything from free-range buffalo meat and pork to organic Swiss chard and mouth-watering pastries. Organic farming has a large presence in Minnesota, as well as farming practices which promote the fair treatment of animals. This is one of the things I like best about living in this area: organic produce and free-range meat is readily accessible and generally affordable.
Pedestrian and bike path constructed of wood beams
from the old railroad
Silos of the former flour mill
Entrance to covered part of market
Mill City Market with Mississippi River and bridges in the background
A craftsman at his loom
I realized when looking at these pictures more carefully at home that I
accidentally took a picture of an Amish woman (foreground, right).
Amish are not supposed to have their picture taken, so hopefully
she didn't notice!
Stopping to admire the view on the way home.
The baguette made it home safely!
If you are looking for interesting recipes with healthy ingredients, check out the Recipe Archive of the Mill City Farmer's Market. I have already found a number of recipes which I plan to try in the coming weeks!















No comments:
Post a Comment