Last August after I had moved back to the U.S. from Munich, I was lucky enough to spend two weeks with my family in Pennsylvania before leaving for Minnesota. While at home, I tried to spend as much time with my grandfather as possible. I spent a number of evenings at his home out in the countryside. On my visits, I would walk out to the garden above his house and pick Swiss chard and fresh tomatoes for our dinner. Perhaps because I was longing for those summer evening dinners with my grandfather and also because the taste of homegrown tomatoes is unbeatable, I decided to embark on a home garden project.
I bought a mini greenhouse as well as a number of pots, organic potting soil, and organic fertilizer. Trying to pot plants in an apartment is an interesting task. I am glad that my mother was not around to see potting soil on my kitchen floor and in my kitchen sink!
Unfortunately, I only harvested a few tomatoes before my tomato plants gave up - there just wasn't enough sun in my kitchen and spare bedroom windows. I also had to get rid of the strawberry plant because one morning I awoke to find it covered in tiny green bugs. But my Swiss chard and green peppers seem to be doing fine. I also have a large collection of herbs, including basil, cilantro, thyme, oregano, spearmint for making fresh tea, and Thai basil for making my favorite Asian dishes.
The area inside of my kitchen window -
and the beginning of my great project
Swiss Chard and green peppers -
finally found a good use for my guest room
My adorable pepper
Herbs on the kitchen windowsill







No comments:
Post a Comment