Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My Employer: The Germanic-American Institute

I am finally getting the hang of posting regularly. Maybe I can make this into a proper blog, after all!

Since some of you may be curious as to how I am supporting myself financially (yes, I do in fact do more than ride my bike around and take pictures of the Mississippi River), I decided it was time to write about the Germanic-American Institute.

On a cold morning this past week after a mild ice storm, I noticed that the trees surrounding the GAI were particularly frosty and beautiful. I thought this was an ideal time to take some pictures of the GAI and its lovely yard. Unfortunately, there is a very unimpressive amount of snow in the yard, so you don't get to see the building framed in powdery piles of snow.

This is the Main Haus. Yes, they actually spell it that way, as cliche as it is. This is the building where I work.   

The side yard of the GAI with frost-covered trees.

Another shot of the side yard including the trellis leading to the parking lot. This is where they hold outdoor events (Grillfest)



The frosty trees along Summit Avenue. This street stretches for several miles and is lined with mansions left over from the days of railroad and lumber barons. F. Scott Fitzgerald's family also
had a house on this street which has been converted into a museum.


Back parking lot of GAI and Carriage Haus. View of the St. Paul Cathedral.






Catching a glimpse of the St. Paul Cathedral on my way to the bus stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment