April 18, 2013:
Biking in a snowstorm: never fails to make me laugh really hard.
Check out the expression on the snowman's face. Even he is freaking out.
Minnesota, I love you, but you're bringing me down. I wrote many laudatory blog posts about you in my first year here, but my feelings are starting to change. Although it is unusual to have snow storms this late in spring, it still can happen - which is why we have decided that we would like to relocate to a city with a more temperate climate on either the East or West Coast.
David's research position will end in August, and he has decided to leave research and get an industry job. In August I will have worked at my current job for one year, and I am hoping that will be enough experience to help me get a job elsewhere as a data analyst. So friends, if you know of jobs in our fields or have potential connections, we would appreciate your help very much. I apologize for using my blog for such shameless networking, but we are desperate.
And what type of work are we looking for? What are our qualifications?
Me: I am looking for a job as a data analyst or data scientist.
My Qualifications: Social science degrees; work experience as data analyst; champion data miner using MS Access or SQL; can aggregate data and slice it or dice it any way you want to see it; can create really awesome infographics; speak 5 foreign languages and am applying these skills to learning computer languages; can make really good food for office parties; am super fun to have around in the office because of my dry humor; can go salsa dancing with you; can play keyboard in your band.
David: Looking for a job as a quant analyst in the finance industry or as a consultant in the tech industry. Or if you have any other ideas about what a theoretical physicist can do, he is open to that.
David's Qualifications: PhD in physics; really awesome math skills; can do computer programming; smartest person I know; can learn just about any skill on his own; extremely nice to work with; good at cooking Asian/Western fusion dishes.
If you have any ideas, please let me know! If you help either of us land a job, I promise to throw you a dinner party with a theme of your choice.
Yours truly,
Look who's excited to walk home half a mile in a snowstorm after a long day of work because her bus didn't come because even though it's been snowing for 5 hours, there are no snowplows clearing the streets because even though fresh snow falls on an average of 2 days in April in Minneapolis, the city is somehow incapable of planning for this, expletive, expletive, expletive.







6 comments:
Move to Columbus. Columbus loves people like you. You were made for this city. Plus, there is a great job market here.
I will start with this and continue sending you awesome info about Columbus until you are standing at my doorstep. http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/the-city/2013/01/intelligent-study.html
I wish i had a band for you to play keyboard in. Migrate to the warm, i totally recommend it :)
Thank you, Tammy! I do have a soft spot for rust belt cities, so I will check it out.
And Harriet, we would love to move to San Francisco or Seattle. I would be so happy if I could ride my bike year round (and not in snow).
If you happen to miss the East Coast and end up a bit further in that direction, Berlin would welcome you with open arms! :-)
Come to Cleveland! It's coastal in the sense that we're on lake Erie (haha)!
There are lots of tech and healthcare jobs here (in need of quant gurus!) There are also big finance/accounting firms here (my brother works for Deloitte implementing Oracle, there's Ernst & Young and a few other regionals).
My company has been wanting to find someone to help us do more database analysis type stuff and quantitative market research. Not sure if we have funding to hire, but let me know if you're interested, and I'll see!
Nicole, I would love to come back to Germany someday...but I'm not sure if we're ready yet. And Lauren, thanks so much for the tip on Cleveland. It sounds like there would be many good opportunities for us there...and it's only 2 hours from my parents' home!
Post a Comment