Happy spring, everyone! I hope spring is as lovely where you are as it is in Minneapolis. Tomorrow is the March Equinox, marking the beginning of astronomical spring. According to the meteorological calendar, spring should have also already arrived here. However, the ecological spring has not arrived yet, and I imagine it won't happen before mid-April at the rate we're going here.
Just out enjoying a spring walk in the crisp 19 degree F weather
(4 degrees F with windchill).
People out enjoying the weather in my neighborhood.
Mmm, snowpiles.
Spring in my building's courtyard.
Bike frozen to sidewalk at bus stop near my building.
Pretty snow
The hipster baristas at the coffee shop on the way to my bus stop are apparently too busy updating their blogs and being ironic to clear the 6 inches of solid ice from the sidewalk.
In all seriousness, this winter truly feels like it will never end. In my last post from one month ago, I was already lamenting this eternal winter, but I didn't think that we would still be getting snow and freezing temperatures this late in March. So what have I been doing to keep myself from going nuts?
Making Caribbean food and listening to Caribbean music always lifts my spirits. Try out these recipes for Caribbean-spiced roast chicken and Jamaican beans and rice. While you're cooking, enjoy some Red Stripe or a lager similar to Negra Modela while listening to some classic Jamaican ska.
I also received an Easter package from my mom over the weekend which included my favorite Easter candy, an apron, and Easter decorations. As much as I love decorating, the juxtaposition of Easter decorations and the snow outside my window was a bit strange. Oh well, I guess this is all I can do for now. Let's hope for sunshine and warmer temperatures.











2 comments:
Hah, I feel your pain over in Berlin! It snowed all today. I swear this time last year I was outside enjoying the Spring. At least the sun shines occasionally since March.
Yeah, I know another Smithie in Berlin who said that this has been the darkest winter in Germany in 43 years...sounds terrible! The winters here are luckily fairly sunny, but it just got really cold again (below zero with wind chill), so that is disappointing!
Post a Comment